Friday, October 12, 2007

What I learned about Selling at the Driving Range: by Rocco De Leo



I have recently discovered this wonderful game of gold. I have my "cheapo" clubs that I can bang up and not even care. I am not yet obsessed with "breaking 100", but that's coming soon. What does this have to do with sales? It's not what you think. I am very comfortable with some of the middle length clubs. I prefer the 3 wood (I actually think it is a fairway metal- not sure) off the tee and the 5 wood off the tee. I also like the 6 and 7 irons. The 1 wood makes me look like an idiot. My last trip to the range was different though. I was determined to drive as far as possible (keeping it straight). After driving about 10 balls with the 3 wood, I grabbed my 1. I took the exact approach with the 1 as the 3 and got what?..a lousy swing and a 3 foot drive. I took a pause, thought about what I need to do and did it. I took about half a step back and put myself in a very uncomfortable (unnatural feeling) position, almost bending over. I took one of the best and strongest drives I have ever taken...perfectly straight and about 165 yards (with a low velocity "floaty ball"--keep in mind 165 yards is tremendous for me). I made the proper adjustment with the tool I was working with. Ok, still, what does this have to do with selling. It has a lot to do with selling. We get into "comfort zones" and expect better results without changing things up a little. Sales people will call on the same type of customers; the easy going people that don't challenge us. Sales people will also stick with similar approaches to presentations and closing methods, and expect higher and higher outcomes. We must try new things--starting with observing experts, and assessing our results...CONSTANTLY. If we don't we will never "drive home" better results and stagnate in mediocrity. Good luck and good selling.

No comments:

This is what Sales is all about