Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Just ASK for the Business: By Rocco De Leo


Sometimes we learn more from real life situations, being customers ourselves. We are always being sold something. Today, I had two chances to give my hard earned money to two different companies. As it turns out, I gave NONE of my money out today because no one asked for it.
Situation One: Verizon-
I forgot to pay my home phone bill and called the phone company to handle the bill. I spoke with the bill collectors and asked about a cheaper phone plan. They transferred me to a customer service agent who did a pretty good job of up selling me. I told her the only thing I needed is a line for my alarm monitoring. After a few questions, she uncovered that this is indeed my only need, but I am a little worried that the kids, or the wife, or myself, might forget and use the regular phone instead of a cell phone. She upsold me on a mid level package (still at less than half the monthly fee I originally had). She told me that I needed to pay my bill before she could add one of the features. Listen close, because next comes the point where she decided that Verizon did not need any more of my money. I told her that I "hate" my Internet, and as soon as the "stupid" thing starts working again, I would pay it online (paying over the phone has a fee while online is free). "OK, call us back when you can." Are you "freakin" kidding me! I was ripe for the picking. I gave her a second chance (you see, I was well aware at this point that I was now doing research for this article). "Cable Internet has been a pain lately for me, " I told her. Nothing. I finally let her off the hook and asked about Internet options through the phone company. She still had to put in the effort to look up the information, but she made NO sale! If she had been listening to me, and seized the opportunity, instead of being happy with just one sale, she would have made another, bigger sale. I called to downgrade a $60/month phone service to $26/month. That is a loss of 34$ per month. The Internet service that she finally shared with me, is 37$/month. That would have been $63/month- a gain of 3$/month. A real good salesperson could have got from me the fact that my company allows me reimbursement of up to 60$/month plus installation fees that I would have been more than happy to sign up for if the service was pitched correctly. As it stands, Verizon not only lost $26/month, but they left another $30 to 60$ on the table. Shame on you Verizon. Coffee is for closers, so hold the coffee at Verizon.
Situation two: Moxi Pest Control
I cannot tell you the name of the rep who signed me up just 4 or 5 months ago. He did not try very hard to get me to sign up for auto pay (which I bet is huge in such a high turn over/cancel rate business). That was his first problem. The second problem is that I have not paid the bill, because I have not seen any evidence of work. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are doing their work. Unfortunately, since no one manages the account (call me, send me a card, etc), and I never see or smell but spray, I just don't feel right paying the $80 for the bill. Today, a rep called me for my payment. Now here this, they have sent me at least 10 bills in the mail. What did I tell her to do: "send me a bill." Will I pay it? Would you take the chance. I would have made a credit card payment over the phone if she had simply asked. I think maybe the customer service rep and the salesman should split the bill (40$) and pay the company the money their incompetence and fear cost them. A little harsh! No way!
Two lessons learned. Be ready to seize the opportunity for more business, and most of all, ask for the business!!

No comments:

This is what Sales is all about